Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Broccoli Cheese Soup

I made this tonight, loosely based on a couple of recipes I read online. I didn't measure anything, but if you try to make it, it should be pretty forgiving. It was delicious!

1/2 onion, sliced
4 tbs butter
1 cup shredded swiss cheese
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
a tiny knob of shredded gouda cheese
1/2 of a 16oz (I think) bag of frozen broccoli
1/2 cup flour
2 cups milk
Beef bouillon cube + up to 1/2 cup water
salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste

Put butter in pot, melt & add sliced onions. Cook until onion is translucent and just starts to brown. Add flour and cook, stirring, until it begins to turn a lovely light brown color. Pour in milk and stir. Toss in the beef bouillon cube and a little bit of water. Turn heat to low. 

In second pot, add broccoli and just cover the bottom of the pan with water. Put a lid on and cook for five minutes or until steamed. Drain any water from pot and leave in pan to cool for a few minutes.

Add cheese to the first pot and stir. If the soup seems thick, add more milk or cream. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, put the lid on and let simmer.

I put my broccoli into a food processor and pulsed it until it was mostly mush. I saved a few pieces of broccoli and chopped those with a knife so there would be some pieces in the soup. Add this to the rest of the soup and stir.

Add a little more milk if you want a thinner consistency. I love the way the swiss tastes with the broccoli! Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment