Monday, July 30, 2012

Tomato Cobbler with Cheddar Herb Biscuits


I saw a tomato cobbler on a blog yesterday and knew immediately that I needed to make it. I started with the recipe as I found it online, modified it as I went, and as best I can type it out, this is how I did it. Feel free to make changes as you see fit, I'm sure it will turn out just as delicious! This recipe was really simple to make, and a great way to use an excess of tomatoes. 
To make the biscuits, I (mostly) followed the recipe on the Bisquick box. You can do the same, or find another biscuit recipe to use instead. I added a little more milk than was called for, grated in some cheddar cheese, mixed in some granulated garlic, and stuck the bowl in the fridge while I made the cobbler.
Cobbler ingredients:
  • 1 and 1/2  tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 2 large onions, sliced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 2 pounds cherry tomatoes (or any small tomatoes)
  • 1 tablespoons of Italian seasoning (parsley, basil, oregano, any of these will work) 
  • 2 and 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • salt and coarsely ground black pepper
The Magic:
Add olive oil and butter to a saute pan over medium heat.  Add sliced onions.  Cook and brown onions, stirring as needed, until caramelized, about 20 minutes. Add garlic and cook for one minute more. Season with salt and pepper Remove pan from heat, add balsamic vinegar and set aside.
Wash tomatoes and slice in half. In a large bowl, mix flour, Italian herbs, and red pepper flakes. Add onions and toss together until everything is lightly and evenly coated in flour. Pour into square or rectangle casserole dish.
Bake on middle oven rack at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.
Remove the biscuit dough from the fridge. Form by hand or cut six biscuits, 1/2 to 1 inch thick. Remove the tomato mixture from the oven and top with the biscuits. Return to oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, until the biscuits are golden brown and the tomato mixture is bubbling.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment