Thursday, April 5, 2012

Homemade Worcestershire Sauce

I found this recipe for homemade Worcestershire sauce and knew I had to try it. I love Worcestershire sauce, so what could be better than being able to make my own? I wasn't sure that I would be able to find any tamarind concentrate, so I thought that I might use lemon juice as a substitute, but I ended up finding some at my local spice store. What I bought was a liquid, but you may find it in paste form. I think that you could also use cayenne in place of the chiles de árbol, but I bought some dried chiles de árbol and chopped them up to use. The point where I thought the recipe was about to go wrong was when I cooked the sugar and added it to the vinegar mixture, it clumped up for just a minute and I thought I had cooked it too long, but as I stirred it, it broke up and mixed into the liquid beautifully!

Here is my slightly modified version of the original recipe. I will come back and update this post once the sauce has sat long enough to use and let you know how it turned out!

Homemade Worcestershire Sauce
1 cup distilled white vinegar
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1⁄2 cup molasses
1⁄2 cup soy sauce
1⁄4 cup liquid tamarind concentrate
3 tbsp. yellow mustard seeds
3 tbsp. pink sea salt
1 tsp. whole black peppercorns
1 tsp. whole cloves
1⁄2 tsp. curry powder
5 cardamom pods, smashed
4 dried chiles de árbol, chopped
2 cloves garlic, smashed
1  1" stick cinnamon
1 tsp anchovy paste
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1  1⁄2" piece ginger, peeled and crushed
1⁄2 cup sugar
1. Combine all ingredients except the sugar in a 2-qt. saucepan; boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cook sugar in a skillet over medium-high heat until it becomes dark amber and syrupy, about 5 minutes. Add caramelized sugar to vinegar mixture and whisk to combine; cook sauce for 5 minutes; transfer sauce to a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid.
3. Refrigerate, covered, for 3 weeks; strain to remove solids; return to jar. Refrigerate for up to 8 months.

Update!
This stuff is awesome! I finally got around to straining the herbs and spices out of it yesterday (so it was actually steeping for 6 weeks), and it's perfect. Instead of just throwing away the garlic and onions, we munched on a few (yum!) and then I threw a couple of large spoonfuls of the mixture into a bowl of chicken to marinate for dinner. I will definitely make this again after it runs out!

No comments:

Post a Comment