Monday, October 11, 2010

Easy Cottage Pie (Shepherd's Pie)

At the last minute we invited a friend over for a late night dinner, so I needed to cook something fairly simple, and fairly fast! I had a pound of ground beef in the fridge, and no real plan, but as soon as the beef was browning in a frying pan, dinner fell into place very quickly! I have made an almost shepherds pie before (same idea, slightly different ingredients than traditional shepherds pie) and LOVE the crispy crust of the oven baked mashed potatoes, but didn't have time for that. If I had more time, I would have put these ingredients in a dish and baked them at the end, but as it was, it still turned out fantastic!

I began the beef browning and quickly chopped an onion, throwing it in with the meat to cook. While that was going, I started a large pot of water boiling and peeled and chopped potatoes. Into the water to cook, as a I also started a pot of white rice.

I put a lid on the beef pan and left it alone for ten minutes, gave it a quick stir then another ten minutes. I turned the heat off on the rice when it was cooked. When the potatoes are done, I drain them and toss in some milk and butter, and season them to taste (salt and garlic pepper). As soon as I feel the ground beef and onion are cooked to my liking, I drain the oil from the pan and season the beef (also salt and garlic pepper, lots of garlic pepper). I mix in the rice and add a small can of tomato sauce. I put the lid back on to cook this all together for a few minutes. In the microwave I heat up a can of creamed corn.

I serve this in a bowl, first a layer of the meat mixture, then a heap of potatoes on top. I hollow out the center of the potatoes and spoon in creamed corn. This recipe is so simple and SO delicious! The men gave it their seal of approval :)

No comments:

Post a Comment